Wednesday, March 23, 2011

MAPLE SYRUP TIME

DRIP, DRIP, DRIP





To see my maple tap in action, click here
(
another YouTube video of mine).








ANOTHER YouTube video ... From State U. NY ... on tapping maple trees & making syrup ... click here:



DRILLING A HOLE IN THE MAPLE TREE IS HARD WORK! I USED TO USE; a "brace & bit" ... hard work! Now, my son bought me a cordless drill ... makes it a lot easier to poke the holes in the trees.





GETTING UP TO THE NEXT TREE MEANS I'LL HAVE TO CLIMB OVER SOME ROCKS, TOO.






  I use bright colors on my tools & my tool bucket so I don't lose any.


   OVER THAT WAY, TOO! I CAN ALWAYS PICK UP A NEW WALKING STICK, THO ...
SEE MY LATEST LEANING AGAINST THIS TREE?




 
 I save the heavy-duty milk jugs all year (cleaned & santized) for my
jugs.  The little top keeps out rain, & dirt, &
BUGS.  When bringing the jugs back to the house, I cap them
tightly so no sap gets spilled.




READ THIS FUNNY
ENTRY ON MAKING MAPLE SYRUP:




How to make your own Maple Syrup
  BEST LINK:
How to make your own Maple Syrup
 
(Has some humor,
MUST READ!)











"What Tree Is It"  (So you
can figure out which tree to tap)




To Quote: To get started all you need
is a way to collect and a pan...

You can go as small or as big as you
want...A 16 quart pan on your kitchen stove will work...To collect all you need
is a 7/16 (or 1/2) drill bit, some taps and a few old milk jugs...Boil the sap on the
stove and keep adding sap till it gets to syrup...Watch out for the wall-paper
though cuz all that steam in the house will curl it right off the walls...

Many people make their own
evaporators...There are plans all over the net and even on eBay...You can buy a
barrel stove kit and turn a 55 gallon drum into an evaporator in a day...You can
makeyour own pans if you have access to 304 stainless sheets and a tig
welder...








     BLOG-TYPE COMMENTS ...



I should just take the time to be a "voice crying out in the wilderness" ... to our elected politicians ... ENOUGH ALREADY!  My message to them would be:

  • FOR ONE THING: WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON ANYWAYS? I think the terrorist's side?
  • Those people belong to a
    different culture; they only understand force & threats ...
    anything less, & they are emboldened.
  • For sure is stupid to put all our plans on the media so the enemy knows what we are doing.
  • For sure is stupid to give the enemy a date when we will withdraw; they will wait.
  • GET REAL!
  • When
    we had George Bush, I would thank God that we had a President, &
    some lawmakers who understand that, like being a good parent, leading a country is not a popularity contest,
    and, you cannot do it while sitting on a fence.  I don't think I
    am the only person who has thus far been disappointed in our current
    President!
  • FOR ANOTHER THING:
    we are paying the politicians on all levels to work on government
    business of improving living conditions for all the citizens!  OF COURSE, THEY ARE TOO BUSY PUTTING UP MORE SMOKE SCREENS SO THAT THEM LOOK BUSY ... with all your hearings on everything else but bills & laws.
  • WE SHOULD FILE A REPORT & LET LAWYERS (that YOU pay) work on attacking public officials, & do
    something real about Social Security, sex-preditors, improving schools,
    making a REAL budget, illegal aliens, national security, disaster
    preparedness ... etc., etc.









You can visit my area
EVERY DAY! ... The local radio station has a Monday thru Saturday
call-in program.  Besides items to buy & sell ... even
real-estate, collectibles, etc ... people call in from all over to give
opinions, public notices, etc.  It's a real slice of Yooper life.

 
Telephone Time! Like
"Yooper-Bay"
  Each morning 9- noon CST

 
Click here: WebStream | Listen live to The Bull - WIKB  — 99.1 FMIron
River, MI



1 comment:

Helen said...

I somehow missed this entry. I was wondering the other day if you were still able to make your maple syrup.
Helen